Thursday 23 May 2013

16 Days Post-Op

It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since the operation. The second week has gone a bit slower if I'm being honest. Food has a big part to play in the time dragging! But you really do realise how much unnecessary food you reach for during the day when you're not able to eat it! I still find myself reaching for cereal at night or craving a slice of toast.

I've lost a total of a stone in this process but I'm maintaining my weight now. I still allow myself treats such as custard and milkshakes. My mother made a coffee cake the other day and everyone in my family were making no secret of the fact that it was delicious. I got a slice, threw it in my blender along with some Ben n' Jerry's and milk and whizzed it together. It was gorgeous :)
Desserts are quite important to keep your weight up but I wouldn't recommend too much sugar as it wouldn't be the best for healing. Also because you're not fully able to brush your teeth yet you dont want them beginning to rot!

Took this picture after a long day travelling to the hospital and back. Your energy levels can get quite low at times which I'm still trying to get used to!

In terms of pain there is none. The only discomfort I'm feeling is pressure in my teeth due to the tight elastics, but I only feel this at night and it's quite bearable. My bottom teeth also feel quite sensitive. I stopped taking my painkillers 2 days ago which I'm delighted about because I really dont like them.

The swelling has gone down quite a bit since last week although it tends to flare up when I do too much talking and especially laughing! Mum doesn't want my friends to come over anymore as they're making me laugh too much! Ice packs are good for when your face swells.

I went to my surgeon today for my second visit post-op. I was hoping he would put looser elastics on but instead he put even tighter ones and doesn't need to see me until the 4th of June. Am quite disappointed as it's my cousins 21st next week and I was hoping to have looser elastics by then. 
Have to keep reminding myself to be patient. There's no point in trying to rush healing!
He said my mouth was nice and clean. I rinse my mouth with saline solution after every meal. It's very easy to be lazy with this part but its so important to prevent unnecessary infection of the stitches.
I also use a baby toothbrush which my surgeon gave to me to brush around the outside of my teeth.  
He told me to start applying Bio Oil to my face to help bring down the soft tissues that were brought up my face during the surgery which I'm going to start tonight. 

6 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Congratulations on your new self! I vaguely recall seeing your blog back in august, probably two or three days after my surgery, so after all this time it's good to see you're through with the hardest part, and doing so marvelously.

    As someone who must have read countless pages of blogs throughout the past year, and never really gave anything back, I'd like to say 'thank you!' I'm sure countless people appreciate you and all those brave enough to share their stories publicly.

    On a lighter note, too bad they couldn't get around to releasing the PS4 LAST year, right?

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your doing great and that's why you haven't posted in a while.
    I get nervous when people stop posting that there may be problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Nicole! New post up now :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments guys :)
    Patrick you're very welcome I'm more than happy to help! hahaha I'm trying not to think about the PS4 right now, too painful :P

    ReplyDelete